WELCOME TO THE GITCHE GUMEE MUSEUM WEB PAGE!
The summer has been progressing in its usual crazy busy fashion. I think it has been busier this year, most likely due to the 50 th anniversary for the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and the 100 year anniversary for all national parks. My summer was busier due to the addition of the international Agate Expo show in Cedarburg, WI. Thus, with the Moose Lake and Ishpeming shows – I had three shows this summer. For various reasons I have decided that this is my last summer of summer shows. As for the rest of the year, due to major electrical issues at Muskallonge Lake State Park, the Rock On show may not happen in September. I spoke with park staff this morning, a final decision has not yet been made. I have decided that even if the show happens next month, I will not have a booth and will instead be working the museum that weekend. If the show happens, I may still give an agate talk, but it will take place when the museum is not open. As soon as the decision is made, I will post information on my blog and on my Facebook page. I have also decided not to have a booth at the WLUC TV6 show in December at the Superior Dome in Marquette. In future years I will continue to have a booth at the Cuyuna show in Brainerd, MN the first weekend in May, and the Central Michigan Fossil, Gem, and Mineral Club Show in Mason the last weekend of October.
I am happy to report my history book is now available for sale. I received the shipment from the printer the beginning of August. If you are interested in purchasing a copy, either stop by the museum or go to the gift shop section of this web page.
Gitche Gumee Museum
E21739 Brazel Street, PO Box 308
Grand Marais, MI 49839
- kbrzys@Jamadots.com or Karen@agatelady.com
- BLOG: www.agatelady.blogspot.com
- PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/karen.brzys
- MUSEUM FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gitche-Gumee-Agate-and-History-Museum
- 906-494-2590 Home and Art Studio Number
- 906-494-3000 Museum (do not maintain this phone during the winter months)
- 906-450-5033 (Cell phone -- not always turned on. I use it only when I travel.)
The museum's hours are:
|End of May, beginning the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend||Sunday thru Friday||2-5 pm|
|June—Open every day||Sunday thru Friday||2-5 pm|
|July and August—Open every day||Monday thru Saturday||11-5 pm
(NEW HOURS BEGINNING IN 2016)
|September—Open every day||Sunday thru Friday||2-5 pm|
|October – end of May||I am traveling a lot during these months exhibiting my mineral art at shows. Please call 906-494-2590 at least a week in advance if you would like to set up a private museum visit. A donation or purchase is requested for all private appointments.|
NOTE: Due to an annual family event that takes place on Saturday of Memorial Day weekend that I would like to attend, the Gitche Gumee Museum will now open each year on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and will be open daily from then to the end of September. I will plan on having the museum ready for appointments by mid-May each year, so if you would like to set up an appointment please email me at Karen@agatelady.com, or call me at 906-494-2590. It is best to set up appointments in advance in case I am busy or out of town. I try to accommodate impromptu appointments, but this is not always possible. For private appointments, I ask for a donation or purchase that is commensurate with the time required for the museum visit.
Art and Mineral Show and Agate Talk Schedule
- September 10 & 11, 2016 EXHIBIT BOOTH and AGATELADY TALKS – 8th Annual Muskal State Park Annual Rock On Agate Show
- NOTE: Due to a major electrical issue at the state park, the show has been cancelled.
- Located at 30042 County Road 407 in Deer Park, MI half way between Newberry and Grand Marais,. Show hours have not yet been announced but they will be all day on Saturday and Sunday. Camping is available. I will be giving a talk on both days. The show includes rock dealers, food dealers, kids games, presentations, demonstrations, rock cutting and polishing services, silent auctions, and more. For more information please call 906-658-3338. Information about last year’s show is available at: http://www.superiortrails.com/rock-agate-festival.html#fest .
- October 28-30, 2016 EXHIBIT BOOTH – 51st Annual Central Michigan Lapidary & Mineral Society Show
- Main Arena, Ingham County Fairgrounds, 700 E. Ash Street, Mason, MI 48854. Event hours are Friday 6:00 to 9:00, Saturday 10:00 to 7:00, and Sunday 11:00 to 5:00. Show includes vendors, exhibits, crafts, art, jewelry, demonstrations, displays, flint knappers, rock identification, kids’ activities, free prizes for kids, door prizes, rock cutting, and more, For more information please go to http://www.michrocks.org/annual-show/show-info.html .
- December 2-4, 2016 EXHIBIT BOOTH – TV6 Marquette, MI Christmas Craft Show
- Located at the Superior Dome, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue. Show hours are Friday 5:00 to 9:00, Saturday 10:00 to 6:00, and Sunday 11:00 to 4:00. More information is available at http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/features/craftshowschedule
August 2016 Update
Mineral of the Month
History’s Gem of the Month
1981 Article about Grand Marais
On-line Gift Shop
New History Book
Gitche Gumee Gatherings
scheduling private, in-home private art shows
Rockhounding and Adventure Trip
Hawaii Trip 2015
New testimonial from Rockhounding/Agate Class participants
Copyright All rights reserved.
Gitche Gumee Museum.
E21739 Brazel Street
Grand Marais, Michigan 49839