WELCOME TO THE GITCHE GUMEE MUSEUM WEB PAGE!
After another crazy busy summer and fall, I am finally catching up on all of my tasks, including updating this web page. As I have explained before, I now post photos and other information on my blog and Facebook pages, which is why I no longer implement an update of this web page each month. The links for these other pages are below.
Although I had originally planned on driving out west this winter, I decided to stay home to work on projects and catch up with the various tasks. In fact, I have decided that given the length of the drive and costs involved, I am only going to drive out every other year.
Since I am almost caught up with the things that have to be done, I am soon to start developing my next product. As many of you know, I am a veteran Grand Canyon hiker. Last year I also hiked the Sedona area and spent quite a bit of time at the Petrified Forest. Although I love the geology of the Lake Superior region, you have to admit that the geology of Arizona is extremely fascinating. So the next project involves the production of a DVD that will tie together the Grand Canyon, the red rocks of Sedona, and the Petrified Forest to tell the story of Arizona geology in a way that has never been told. I don’t know exactly what that means, but it is the project’s goal. I have a whole stack of reference books that I purchased as well as a large pile of technical articles that I printed out when doing research at the University of Michigan library. In the next couple of days I will begin using the information from these reference sources to compile a data base. I am really excited about diving into this project! Since I have no idea how long it will take to compile the data base and develop the DVD, I am not setting a dead line. It is most likely, however, that the DVD will not be ready for sale until 2016.
I have already been receiving questions about the prospects for agate hunting on Lake Superior’s south shore this summer. Thanks everyone for the inquiries, but it is way too early to know what will transpire. For the second year in a row we have a lot of ice built up on the shoreline. Although there is less ice covering Lake Superior at this time than there was last year in early February, the temperatures are projected to be very cold for the days and weeks to come. During the late spring the remaining ice gets blown back and forth by changing winds. What it all comes down to is what direction does the wind blow before the ice beaches for the last time. Traditionally, that wind direction has been from the north/northwest. That was not the case last year since the winds were from the south, so there were no ice bergs to dredge up rocks as well as to melt and dump their embedded rock. We will see what happens this spring.
Gitche Gumee Museum
E21739 Brazel Street, PO Box 308
Grand Marais, MI 49839
kbrzys@Jamadots.com or Karen@agatelady.com
PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/karen.brzys
MUSEUM FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gitche-Gumee-Agate-and-History-Museum
906-494-2590 Home and art studio number
906-494-3000 Museum (do not maintain this phone during the winter months)
906-450-5033 (Cell phone -- not always turned on. I use it only when I travel.)
The museum's hours are:
|End of May, beginning the week before Memorial Day.||Sunday thru Friday||2-5 pm|
|June—Open every day||Sunday thru Friday||2-5 pm|
|July and August—Open every day||Monday thru Saturday||11-6 pm
|September—Open every day||Sunday thru Friday||2-5 pm|
|October – end of May||I am traveling a lot during these months exhibiting my mineral art at shows. Please call 906-494-2590 at least a week in advance if you would like to set up a private museum visit. A donation or purchase is requested for all private appointments.|
Art and Mineral Show and Agate Talk Schedule
NOTE: I have decided to scale back my show schedule for 2015. At this point, these are the shows I plan on attending and setting up a booth.
- May 2-3, 2015
- EXHIBIT BOOTH – 13th Annual Cuyuna Agate & Mineral Show. Located at Crow Wing County Fairgrounds, 2000 S. E. 13th Street, Brainerd MN 56401. Show hours are Saturday 9-5; Sunday 10-4. Show happens rain or shine. Show includes vendors, exhibits, crafts, art, jewelry, demonstrations, displays, flint knappers, ask-the-wizard of rocks, kids’ korner activities, free prizes for kids, door prizes, rock cutting, and concessions. More information is available at: https://sites.google.com/site/cuyunarocks/show
- July 18-19, 2015
- EXHIBIT BOOTH – 46rd Annual Moose Lake, MN Agate Days. Located at the Moose Lake High School, 413 Birch Avenue. Event hours are Saturday 9:00 to 5:00; Sunday 9:00 to 4:00. The Clark-Olsen Agate Stampede is at 2:00 on Saturday. More information is available at http://www.mooselakechamber.com/agate-days-and-art-in-the-park.php
- August 1, 2015
- EXHIBIT BOOTH – 40th Annual Upper Peninsula Gem and Mineral Show, sponsored by the Ishpeming Rock and Mineral Club. Located at Ishpeming Elks Club Hall, 597 Lake Shore Dr., Ishpeming, MI. Show hours are Saturday from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm. The show includes free admission; kids' area, silent auction, hourly prizes, raffle, demonstrations, & dealers. FIELD TRIPS associated with the show happen on Friday and Sunday. There is also a Cracker Barrel session Saturday evening at 7pm with live mineral auction, raffle, food, and a speaker. For more information Contact Ernest Johnson, 1962 W. Fair, Marquette, MI 49855, phone 906-228-9422, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- September 12 & 13, 2015
- EXHIBIT BOOTH and AGATELADY TALKS – 7th Annual Muskallunge State Park Annual Rock On Agate Show. Located at 30042 County Road 407 in Deer Park, MI half way between Newberry and Grand Marais,. Show hours have not yet been announced but they will be all day on Saturday and Sunday. Camping is available. I will be giving a talk on both days. The show includes rock dealers, food dealers, kids games, presentations, demonstrations, rock cutting and polishing services, silent auctions, and more. For more information please call 906-658-3338. Information about last year’s show is available at: Rock On Facebook
- October 23-25, 2015
- EXHIBIT BOOTH -- 50th Annual Central Michigan Lapidary & Mineral Society Show. Main Arena, Ingham County Fairgrounds, 700 E. Ash Street, Mason, MI 48854. Event hours are Friday 6:00 to 9:00, Saturday 10:00 to 7:00, and Sunday 11:00 to 5:00. Show includes vendors, exhibits, crafts, art, jewelry, demonstrations, displays, flint knappers, rock identification, kids’ activities, free prizes for kids, door prizes, rock cutting, and more, For more information please go to http://www.michrocks.org/annual-show/show-info.html or http://www.michrocks.org/annual-show/show-info.html.
- December 4-6, 2015
- EXHIBIT BOOTH – TV6 Marquette.MI Christmas Craft Show. Located at the Superior Dome, 1401 Presque Isle Avenue. Show hours are Friday 5:00 to 9:00, Saturday 10:00 to 6:00, and Sunday 11:00 to 4:00. More information is available at http://www.uppermichiganssource.com/community/content.aspx
February 2015 Update
Mineral of the Month
History’s Gem of the Month
Article about the Grand Sable Dunes
On-line Gift Shop
New How to Find Agates DVD
(NEW version that has been professionally mastered!)
Gitche Gumee Gatherings
scheduling private, in-home private art shows
Rockhounding and Adventure Trip
Arizona Trip 2014
Testimonial from a Mineral Art customer
Copyright All rights reserved.
Gitche Gumee Museum.
E21739 Brazel Street
Grand Marais, Michigan 49839